23-01-15

Dynastes hercules morishimai, Megasoma actaeon (Fr. Guyana), some nice Eudicella sp....

Some more pictures from my recent breedings and arrivals.

 

Megasoma actaeon actaeon from French Guyana, WF1 (Kaw Mountain), bred since January 2011 (L1 stage)

Male of 100 mm (max. L3 weight 132 g):

Ma 132 g 113 mm.jpg

Ma 100 mm.jpg

Ma 100 mm 2.jpg

 

Female of 77 mm (very large, max. L3 weight 94 g):

Ma 77 mm.jpg

 

Dynastes hercules morishimai, the last males from this breeding generation, 128 mm, max. L3 weight 98 g:

DHM 128 mm.jpg

 

131 mm, max. L3 weight 97 g! Unfortunately with slightly bent tip of the thoracic horn:

DHM 131 mm 1.jpg

DHM 131 mm 2.jpg

 

121 mm, max. L3 weight 87 g:

DHM 121 mm 1.jpg

DHM 121 mm 2.jpg

 

Still, one other male larva is still L3 (almost a 2-year cycle now) and weighing again 98 g, so I am hoping for a second beautiful and massive male...

 

Some nice newly acquired Eudicella sp. that I am going to start breeding:

Eudicella pauperata (from RDC-Congo):

Eudicella pauperata 1.jpg

 

Eudicella morgani camerounensis (Cameroon):

Eudicella morgani 1.jpg

 

Eudicella aethiopica (Ethiopia):

Eudicella aethiopica 1.jpg

 

Eudicella trilineata interruptefasciata (Tanzania):

Eudicella trilineata interruptefasciata 1.jpg

 

11:44 Gepost door Bahamut Beetles Production in Photo Gallery | Permalink | Commentaren (0) |  Facebook |

Mecynorhina (Chelorrhina) polyphemus confluens

Hi to all, I'm finally back after a period of silence.

Some months ago, around summer 2014, I decided to retry some of the more "classic" species to breed. I acquired a nice adult pair of Mecynorhina polyphemus confluens (WF2, 07/2014). This pair gave me around 20 larvae of which I kept some for further breeding.

I provided these with good quality beech/oak substrate, a smaller part decomposing wood and from early L3 stage on, every two weeks, I added 2 dried dog food pellets of a brand that breeders from the UK suggested me to use: Baker's Complete Meaty Meals puppy version (I suppose these contained less preservatives).

I have never been too enthusiastic for additives (especially not for Dynastidae), but I wanted to give it a shot, especially for a cannibalistic species such as M. p. confluens. I was utterly impressed...

Only after around 4 months since the hatching of the larvae from the eggs, most of the larvae already weighed around 25-30 g (I kept them separated in 2 L. containers form early L3 stage on; L3 larvae become extremely cannibalistic, especially when there are still L1 or L2 larvae present amongst the L3 larvae in the same box). Since the end of December/beginning of January (first eggs hatched around mid-August), I currently already have pupating larvae with weights of around 25-35 g for females (one female L3 weighed 34 g!) and 30-40 g for males. 3 male larvae currently weigh 35 g, 36 g and 39 g!!!

Next to most of the female larvae pupating, already one male larva has also started pupation; on the box it says "turned to L3 10/09", meaning that after only around 4 months L3 this male larva of 32 g already started pupating. An average complete cycle was only around 5 months, while normally this species' larval cycle comprises at least 8 up to even 12 months!

Here are some pics of the 2 heaviest male larvae (still L3, hoping that they grow even bigger and the 40 g would be broken, good for possibly a 70+ mm male):

MPC 39 g!!!.jpg

MPC 39 g!!! 3.jpg

MPC 39 g!!! 2.jpg

MPC 36 g!.jpg

11:21 Gepost door Bahamut Beetles Production in Breeding | Permalink | Commentaren (0) |  Facebook |