02-03-17

Goliathus goliathus var. conspersus breeding trial

Dear all,

Once again, it’s been some time ago since I’ve posted any news on my blog, but the next topic is worth mentioning I think.

About 1,5 years ago, I got the chance/privilege to breed the infamous Goliathus goliathus. I received some larvae from my British breeder friend Ian who advised me to give it a shot.

Although I have always been very skeptic for breeding this species (it is quite hard to breed, especially since their diet consists about 80% out of protein food such as dried dog or cat food, koi pellets, dried Gammarus shrimps, etc., thus the larvae need to be fed very regularly; at least once every 3-4 days) and until that given moment I did not want to have this type of beetle in my breeding (many breeders here tried breeding Goliathus sp. and mainly got dying larvae, pupal deaths or very minor/deformed adults).

I got in total 10 early L3 larvae of which 4 males and 6 females. I kept these in 1 L. buckets filled with relatively dry/medium humidified substrate (decaying wood + leaf humus) and added each 3-4 days one dried dog pellet (Baker’s Complete Meaty Meal).

Remarkably enough, the larvae started growing relatively quickly; females reached 45-55 g while males reached 55-65 g with one exceptional male growing up to 86 g. Even if I was slightly enthusiastic for these measurements, still my skepticism remained as I knew I would have to say goodbye to these larvae as soon as they would start pupation. As I’ve heard, the pupation stage is an extremely sensitive stage for Goliathus sp., especially when it comes to humidity (must be kept very dry) or disturbance (opening the cocoon after a few weeks like for Mecynorhina sp. is an absolute no-no).

At a given point, after around 12-15 months, the larvae started wandering: I found them crawling around the top of their buckets in circles; that’s when I knew it was time to place them in the larger pupation buckets, each filled with a mixture of sandy and drier leaf humus and their older substrate; this looked more like a very slightly humid brownish “cement” mix. The larvae disappeared in their larger buckets and I waited for at least 3-4 months.

After that period, I got quite anxious to see what happened and immediately took the bucket with the largest larva of all (the 86 g one) and found to my surprise a large “Easter egg” on the bottom (the soil was very compacted near the bottom of the bucket, so I needed to carefully dig around it). The cocoon measured close to 95 mm and I placed it in a separate box with slight aeration on a thin layer of relatively dry substrate. I waited another 2-3 months.

2-3 months later and convinced that I would find a darkened, dead and decaying larva or pupa inside, I carefully opened the cocoon. To my big surprise, this one did not die; in fact, the adult beetle inside was well alive and practically perfectly formed. With a size of 86 mm, it is not even such a small one. The overall type is definitely Goliathus goliathus var. conspersus.

Please enjoy the pictures.

I checked 2 other buckets but apparently the larvae were still wandering in them, so for the moment I left these alone still. More news will follow.

GG 83g.jpg

GG 83g in hand.jpg

GG 83g vs adult 97 mm.jpg

GGConspersus 86 mm cocoon 94 mm.jpg

GGConspersus 86 mm cocoon 94 mm 2.jpg

GGConspersus 86 mm 1.jpg

GGConspersus 86 mm 2.jpg

GGConspersus 86 mm 3.jpg

GGConspersus 86 mm 4.jpg

Goli goli conspersus 86 mm 1 1.jpg

Goli goli conspersus 86 mm 2 2.jpg

Goli goli conspersus 86 mm 3 3.jpg

Goli goli conspersus 86 mm 4 4.jpg

08:49 Gepost door Bahamut Beetles Production in Breeding | Permalink | Commentaren (0) |  Facebook |

De commentaren zijn gesloten.